Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No-Knead Bread - Finished Loaf

Check out these homemade baby food recipes images:


No-Knead Bread - Finished Loaf
homemade baby food recipes
Image by daisybush
Nigel, it was fun while it lasted but it's time to move on. I'm with Jim now.

I've used a Nigel Slater bread recipe for the last three years, but my allegience has abruptly shifted. One of my hometown papers has come up trumps. "No-Knead Bread", The New York Times (www.nytimes.com 8 November 06) is a foolproof, innovative bread recipe that involves no kneading. It's been created by Jim Lahey of the Sullivan Street Bakery on West 47th in Manhattan. Incredibly generous of him to share the recipe - thank you!

I will miss the kneading (or "knuckle dusting" - I prefer to punch), but I won't miss olive-oil leaking over the oven or the perfectly good, but not great taste of the Nigel recipe. Jim's recipe is so simple and so rewarding. Not many things in life you can say that about.

Jim's recipe allows me to make bread that looks like it comes from Poilâne (but doesn't cost 36 euros to ship from Paris). And although I haven't tasted a Poilâne loaf, this baby was brilliant! A light, crispy crust and tender inside. So bye bye Nigel, and hello Jim! I guess you can take the girl out of America, but you can't take America out of the girl . . .

UPDATE: I've read grumblings on some foodie blogs that this isn't an original recipe and the ancient Greeks were cooking bread in pots. Really? Well since I don't subscribe to any ancient Greek RSS feeds, I'm glad Lahey updated this for a new generation and the NYT printed it .

29 November 2006 - Since posting these pix I've made this recipe about 8 times. I've got it memorised and it is still easy and still completely foolproof. I now use 2/3 organic stoneground wholewheat flour and 1/3 white flour. Bliss!


I want my baby back!
homemade baby food recipes
Image by dustin_j_williams
Ribs. Cooked for 45 min in the oven over soy and ginger and then finished on the grill with a homemade bbq sauce that got better upon deviating greatly from the original recipe. This needs a slightly larger DoF, would've been nicer if the tongs were actually in focus as well. I was too hungry to set up for a second shot.


rustic squash surprise detail
homemade baby food recipes
Image by cygnoir
The MSG thought this looked like a sloppy joe, except with a baby squash instead of a kaiser roll.

The baby squash was so delicious ... I had no idea they were actually buttery in taste before I bit into one. What a delightful surprise!

(here's the recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment